Same-Sex and Unmarried Couples
[Updated August 2013]
Books, Treatises, Etc.
- A Legal Guide for Lesbian & Gay Couples, Denis Clifford, Frederick Hertz, Emily DosKow, Nolo Press, 15th Ed.
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Lee’s North Carolina Family Law, Suzanne Reynolds, Michie, 5th ed. (particularly Chapters 4, 16 & 17)
- Medicaid, Spousal Impoverishment and Same-Sex Couples
- Sexual Orientation and the Law, Roberta Achtenberg, Ed., Thomson West. 2 volume treatise.
Brochures and Web Articles
- Act Now! OAA Reauthorization Must Include Services for LGBT Elders, (2012) Robert Espinoza
- Asset Management for Same-Sex Couples, Angela Watson
- CMS Rules for Hospitals on Policies Detailing Visitation Rights
- Greene v. County of Sonoma et al.
- Housing & Mortgages for Gay & Lesbian Couples
- Human Rights Campaign Map of State Hospital Visitation Rules
- Improving the Lives of LGBT Older Adults (2010)
- LGBT Residents’ Rights
- LGBT San Diego’s Trailblazing Generation: Housing & Related Needs of LGBT Seniors (2011)
- Legal Planning for Same-Sex Couples: Preparing for the Unexpected, GLAD
- Lesbian, Gay Male, Bisexual and Transgendered Elders: Elder Abuse and Neglect Issues, Loree Cook-Daniels
- Medicare finalizes new rule on patient visitation rights
- Outing Age 2010, Jaime M. Grant
- Planning with Purpose: Legal Basics for LGBT Elders (2009)
- Presidential Memo on Hospital Visitation
- Stories from the Field (2011)
- The Aging and Health Report (2012), Karen I. Fredriksen-Goldsen et al.
- United Hospital Fund/SAGE Guide to LGBT Caregiving
- Victory! Sonoma County Settles with Clay Greene (2010)
CLE Manuscripts and Other Resources
- Essential LGBT Law 101, Ellen W. Gerber; prepared for and presented at After Lawrence: LGBT Legal Issues in North Carolina, a Continuing Legal Education Program presented by North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Attorneys (NC-GALA):
- Buying Real Property Together
- Owning Personal Property Together
- Essential Elder Law Planning for LGBT Clients, Laura Zdychnec, The ElderLaw Report, Vol. XXII, No. 7 (February 2011).
- Estate Planning for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Clients, Paula A. Kohut.
Law Reviews and Business Journal Articles
- Estate Planning for Cohabitants [Part of Symposium: Pitfalls and Promises: Cohabitation, Marriage and Domestic Partnerships], M. W. Hickey, Jl of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers v. 22 no. 1 (2009) p. 1-28.
- Estate Planning for Unmarried Partners. J.S. Rubenstein, Institute on Estate Planning Univ. of Miami) v. 43 (June 2009) p. 11.1-20.
- Gay and Lesbian Elders: Estate Planning and End -of-Life Decision Making. Nancy J. Knauer, 12 Fla. Coastal L.J. 163-215 (2010).
- LGBT Elder Law: Toward Equality in Aging, Nancy J. Knauer, 32 Harv. J.L. and Gender 1-58 (2009).
- Note. Gay and Gray: The Need for Federal Regulation of Assisted Living Facilities and the Inclusion of LGBT Individuals. Johnson, Iain, 16 J. Gender Race & Just. 293-321 (2013).
- Note. Still Pioneers: Special Social and Economic Hardships for Elderly Gays and Lesbians. Annick Persinger, 21 Hastings Women’s L.J. 137-157 (2010).
- Quality Care for Queer Nursing Home Residents: The Prospect of Reforming the Nursing Home Reform Act, Michael J. Ritter, Note. 89 Tex. L. Rev. 999-1018 (2011).
- Asserting Choice: Health Care, Housing, and Property—Planning for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Older Adults, Natalie Chin et al., 43 Clearinghouse Rev. 522 (2010)
- Considerations, Pitfalls, and Opportunities That Arise When Advising Same-Sex Couples. Raymond Prather; Probate & Property, May/June 2010, Vol. 24, No. 3.
- Probate & Property (The Magazine of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association).
Organizations & Resources: National
- ACLU Lesbian & Gay Rights and AIDS Projects
- American Society on Aging, Lesbian & Gay Issues Network
- Assisted Living Directory – Gay Friendly Facilities
- Caring and Aging with Pride
- Center Link
- Estate Planning – Wills & Trusts by Christopher B. Fagan & Jared Laskin
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- Gay and Lesbian Elder Housing (GLEH)
- Gay and Lesbian Issues by Jared Laskin
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) Online Referral System for Non-judgmental Care of LGBT Patients
- Gay Estate Planning
- HUD Rules on Fair Housing for LGBT People
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Consult this website’s Aging section and Marriage section
- Human Rights Campaign – Healthcare Equity Index Leaders in Equality
- Joint Commission Recommendations on LGBT Issues
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Lambda Legal Map of State Laws Recognizing Same-Sex Marriage
- LGBT Aging Project
- Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Same-Sex Couples
- Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE)
Organizations and Resources: North Carolina
- AIDS Legal Project (Duke Law School)
- American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina
- Equality North Carolina